Do you know if your home
is electrically safe?

April 15, 2021

college students walking

The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) says firefighters respond to an average of 3,810 fires in college dorms every year. Careless smoking, unattended candles and cooking and the improper use of extension cords and power outlets are the most common culprits.

Electrical safety should be top of mind especially for those living in older dorms or student residences. In a previous post, we interviewed Hamilton resident, Olivia Clarke, who left her student house after discovering unsafe electrical issues. Clarke hopes her story will inspire other students to do their research before moving into an older residence.

Electrical fires are preventable but it’s up to students to make the right decisions and know what to do in the event of an electrical hazard. Here are some important recommendations to remember:

1. Do not reset a breaker more than once: If the breaker keeps tripping there’s a problem; contact your landlord or your residence director right away.

2. Avoid plugging in too many devices:  Plugging in too many devices can overload your circuits. The Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) says you should only use 80 percent of your circuits amperage to be safe. So if your circuit is 15 amps, you should only use 12 amps.


3. Avoid using large draw appliances like portable heaters or air conditioners unless on a dedicated circuit:  These appliances have a heavy load and will likely take up that 12 amp threshold. This type of device must be plugged into a dedicated circuit. 


4. Contact a licensed electrical contractor: If you feel like there is imminent danger and your landlord or residence director has not been able to rectify the issue, contact the fire department right away. You should also reach out to a licensed electrical contractor, like HOME SAFE, to perform any necessary inspections and repairs. 


HOME SAFE is a Mississauga-based licensed electrical contractor that services homes and student residences all across the GTA. The electrical contractor encourages students or parents with questions or concerns to reach out.

Our 24/7 emergency service makes it easy for residences to contact us at any time.


Students, we encourage you to read and memorize these other important safety tips:

1. Become familiar with your new home or dorm; make a fire escape plan and practice it regularly – make sure you have two ways of getting out of your home

2. Check smoke alarms for expiry; test every month, change batteries twice a year and replace every 10 years (or as per manufacturers request). Don’t assume the alarm is working just because the light is on.

3. A functioning CO alarm must be installed outside sleeping quarters

4. Install a functioning fire extinguisher on an exit path that is easily accessible – not in a cupboard or under the sink

5. Never leave cooking unattended, stay in the kitchen if you’re cooking

6. If you smoke, smoke outside and use deep, sturdy ashtrays to properly discard cigarettes. Never flick cigarette butts off of balconies

7. If you’re lighting candles make sure they are away from flammable items like curtains, couches, pillows or clothing; always blow them out if you’re leaving the room. Opt for battery-powered candles instead – they are safer.

8. For those living in upper floors, install a collapsing escape ladder from the window

9. For those living in basements, make sure there is an exit direct to outside

10. Do not overload extension cords, power strips or outlets

11. Do not connect multiple extension cords together

12. Extension cords should never be used on a permanent basis

13. Do not place cords under doors or carpets, and do not pinch them with   furniture

14. Use light bulbs with correct wattage for lamps

15. Never remove the ground pin (the third prong) to make a three-prong plug fit a two-prong outlet

16. Check that all electrical items, including extension cords, are certified by a nationally recognized independent testing laboratory, such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL), Intertek (ETL), or Canadian Standards Association (CSA)

17. Irons, hairdryers, curling irons and straighteners should never be left unattended, and should be unplugged when not in use